First, I would like to start off by saying that I think peer review is a great way to get help and meet new people and should help somewhat as reading your own paper 5 times really just becomes a blur after while. As for this class, I did not really get to experience a peer review session that was even remotely helpful, for my paper anyway. For one, students are just not at the same level, and while that one student that gives great feedback and help, the other student just skims through your paper and since they do have enough knowledge on the topic, just give basic assessments on grammatical errors. It was really a take-take situation when it should be a give and take one.
As a peer reviewer, I feel as if I can bring a lot to the table. Not that I am gloating, but I do know a hefty amount of things that I could offer other students. At least when I did participate in peer review my peers have told me that what i said was quite helpful because they did not understand the assignment to begin with. Which actually made me feel really good. However, while I was giving, I was not receiving because they did not know enough about the assignment. So in the end i found the peer review not as effective as it could be.
My ideal peer review process would consist of having students at the same level peer review with the same level students. I think they deserve to get great feedback too. Though you might be asking "what about the students that don't really know anything, just put them all together to fend on their own"? Well, not necessarily. Those students can pair with the others and that way there is a great give and take relationship. Everything would be in equilibrium. Problem solved.
No comments:
Post a Comment