Friday, April 27, 2012

#11 Pattern of errors

I have noticed throughout the years some pattern of errors in my writing. I would have to say that one major one would have to be within my introduction paragraph, and perhaps for others as well. The introduction is perhaps the hardest paragraph of an essay. I always struggle on my opening paragraph and never know how to start off. I always find it hard to pick a strategy to start off with like using a question, quote, phrase, statistic or fact. I think that this affects my essay quite noticeably in so that the intro is everything. It is where the reader determines whether they want to read further or put it aside. Maybe I can work on my intro and depending on the subject at hand I can go about choosing an appropriate strategy for my intro.
The second would have to consist of myself also being wordy in my writing. I feel as if I am doing it now too. Usually I like more emphasis in my writing and sometimes my sentences turn into run-ons. Sometimes there is unnecessary jargon type language in my writing and it seems to put the readers off I suppose. Maybe I can go over my papers in the end a couple of times and try to fix sentences into 2 or 3 more sentences instead of just one big sentence. Also, revise revise revise!
Lastly, my most minor pattern of error would be repetition. Sometimes I run out of things to say and just repeat prior sentences in a different way just for filler. But I can't help it when I find what I am writing about to be uninteresting and boring. I can probably learn to suck it up and just do the best I can, because thats life, right? Well, time doesn't stop for me so might as well do it. Puh!

No comments:

Post a Comment