Friday, April 27, 2012

#13 Analyzing and Writing Arguments

I analyzed "Should the Obama Generation Drop Out." In that essay, the author used a colloquial tone to better relate with their audience. I believe using a colloquial tone could attract people at any educational level, and can be useful when trying to establish a connection with your readers. I will be aware that when writing I do not let my colloquial tone become something of a "slang" nature, otherwise my audience would feel that my paper is unprofessional and inappropriate.
I also learned that not having a counter argument, such as in the above article, can affect my trustworthy tone and ultimately ruin my argument. So, for my paper I will include a simple yet realistic counter argument to answer questions raised by my audience. This will prove to them I know what I am talking about and not just think I am aimlessly raising an argument just for fun.
From the article I also learned that I will raise an argument that can relate to most of the nation. For example, in the article it argues that the bachelors degree should be disqualified from job applications and have other tests of application instead to determine whether candidates are right for the job. This is relative because today everything is determined by your level of education and it is difficult to find a good job without a degree. This argument applies to students, which im sure everyone was or is now. As for my argument, I am arguing that my university should have dorms. Again, everyone at one point is or was a student, which strengthens my argument and also attracts readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment